Hainan High People's Court
Established in September 1988, Hainan High People's Court is located at No.123, Longkun South Road, Haikou, with five intermediate courts, one specialized court (i.e. Haikou Maritime Court), and 23 local courts thereunder.
The Hainan High People's Court ("the Court"), as the national judicial organ, exercises judicial power in accordance with the law and supervises the trial work of the people's courts at lower levels. The Court is responsible for, and reports to the Hainan Provincial People's Congress and the Standing Committee of the Hainan Provincial People's Congress. It is the responsibility and duty of the Court to:
(1) try criminal, civil, administrative, maritime and other first-instance cases that are under the jurisdiction of the Higher People's Court in accordance with the law and that, in its opinions, should be tried by itself.
(2) try criminal, civil, administrative, maritime and other second-instance cases that are under the jurisdiction of the Higher People's Court in accordance with the law
(3) approve cases of death sentence with a two-year reprieve according to law; approve cases of death sentence according to law; to authorize to approve cases of death sentence under the authorization of the Supreme People's Court.
(4) approve cases of death sentence with a two-year reprieve, and commutation cases of sentence for life imprisonment, as well as cases of conditional release that should be tried by the Higher People's Court
(5) accept all kinds of appeals and retrial applications that dissatisfied with the valid sentences of the people's special courts at all levels in the province, with respect to which it initiates a retrial or order a court at lower levels to retry if there are errors therein.
(6) try the protested cases filed by the People's Procuratorate of Hainan Province in accordance with the procedures.
(7) try criminal, civil, administrative and maritime cases assigned by the Supreme People's Court in accordance with the law.
(8) exercise the designated right of jurisdiction against the People's Courts at lower levels.
(9) supervise the trial of the People's Courts at lower levels.
(10) settle the compensation cases in accordance with the provisions of Law of the People's Republic of China on State Compensation.
(11) execute the first-instance judgments and rulings of the Higher People's Court that have become legally valid, as well as other legal instruments required by legal provisions to be enforced by the Higher People's Court, and cases entrusted by courts of other provinces, cities and districts.
(12) propose opinions on drafts of laws, regulations, rules, etc.; to pose judicial suggestions regarding the problems found in the case trial; to organize and instruct the investigation and study of courts across the province.
(13) organize judicial exchange activities between the People's Courts & special people's courts at all levels in the province, and foreign judicial circles, and international organizations; settle relevant issues pertaining to international judicial assistance.
(14) carry out ideological and political education and arrange professional training for judges and other staff of Higher People's Court; to instruct the ideological and political work, education and training of the people's courts at lower levels; to manage judges and other staff on the basis of the authority.
(15) assist the provincial establishment departments to manage the establishment of the people's courts at all levels and special people's courts across the province, and coordinate with local party committees to manage the leading groups in the provincial court system.
(16) instruct the judicial administration and judicial technology of the people's courts at lower levels, and manage relevant funds, materials and equipment of courts across the province.
(17) publicize the legal institution in trial and educate citizens to learn independently the observance of the Constitution and laws.
(18) lead the supervision of courts across the province.
(19) manage public institutions and social organizations directly under the Higher People's Court of Hainan Province.
(20) undertake other tasks that should be responsible by the Higher People's Court of Hainan Province.
●Hainan High People's Court
Address: No.123, Longkun South Road, Haikou
Postal Code: 570206
Overview of Hainan Courts
President of Hainan High People’s Court
Dai Jun started his career in July 1990 and joined the Communist Party of China in June 1995. He is a Grand Justice of the second rank with a university degree and a master's degree in public administration.
Dai Jun serves as the secretary of the Leading Party Members’ Group and president of Hainan High People’s Court, and deputy secretary of the Commission for Political and Legal Affairs of the CPC Hainan Provincial Committee.